The best family trip. The best chocolate chip cookie recipe. The best ‘About Me’ page.
I Google “the best” approximately 247 times a day.
My name is Anissa, and I’m a perfectionist. Type-A. Anal-retentive. Reluctant to mess things up. Fearful of missing out on all the great stuff life has to offer.
I suspect you’re a lot like me. You’re trying to get ‘it’ right. (Whatever ‘it’ is.) You want more out of life than just the status quo. (But when do you find the time for that?) You want a few minutes of peace. (And you’re willing to hide in the bathroom to get it.)
You believe that life is about collecting peak experiences but also about finding the best way to manage mundane day-to-day tasks.
Here at Mama Goes Beyond, I chronicle my research into doing everything better. I share tips about parenting, homeschooling, travel, and practicing better self-care. I discuss how we can design our lives to include space for all the things that are important to us, and I share all the juicy lifestyle tidbits that I’ve painstakingly gathered.
I love to teach. I teach my two boys as a homeschooling mom. I teach other kids (and their parents and grandparents) as a singing teacher.
I’m also the friend you call when you want to know how to fit three child-safety seats in the back of your Honda or are wondering whether or not buying a Vitamix is worth it. That’s because I’m the nut who’s read the Amazon reviews, blog comparisons, and Consumer Reports articles and compiled it all into a spreadsheet.
I’m so glad to have this outlet for sharing information and learning from my community. I know it will be an opportunity to remind myself that there is no right (or wrong) way to do things, there’s just your way (but that doesn’t mean you can’t attempt to be excellent).
I’m thrilled that you’re here!
Please click here to subscribe to updates from Mama Goes Beyond and gain access to all the fun freebies in the Subscribers’ Resource Library.
Some fun facts about me:
- I performed Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical CATS over 400 times on a North and South American tour.
- My husband and I made our own wedding rings, and they’re engraved inside with the airport codes of the cities that were important to the development of our relationship (TYO, HKG, SAO, WAS, and PHL).
- I was a vegetarian for 20 years, but I started craving meat when I was pregnant with my older son, and I’ve never looked back.
- I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 37, while 34 weeks pregnant with my second child.
- I ran a marathon in 2017 with six months of training, having never run regularly before.
- I’ve been to 48 of the 50 states and 4 of the 7 continents, and I can’t believe how much of the world I have left to see.
- This quote from Henry David Thoreau has been rattling around in my head since I was 16, and I love it so much that I regularly contemplate getting a tattoo that says “Marrow Sucker”.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms…”
I love to hear from my readers!
Feel free to email me at email@example.com.